Repost: On Death and Disney

Dave’s (or Dave Bowie’s) Goblin King of the Labryinth Pie, Yukari Sakura, 2016.

Linking to my Nat. Brut essay about Yukari Sakura, an artist at Creativity Explored via CE's blog. An excerpt:

During our interview for this piece, Sakura’s gift for storytelling is evident. It is as distinctive as it is remarkable. Her mind seems to zoom a mile a minute to fantastical realms I can barely fathom — one moment dropping knowledge bombs about endangered Siberian tigers, and the next spinning a fanciful love story between a winged elk and a fictional autistic woman. Fantastic creatures including unicorns, fairies, mermaids, and centaurs make regular appearances in her tales. Her excitement is infectious but sometimes makes her tales hard to follow. Throughout our dialogue, I notice that she often provides a magnificent “how” but struggles to give a satisfactory “why.” This is endearingly summed up for me when our conversation turns to The Da Vinci Code, a film from 2003 starring Tom Hanks. When I asked her what it is about, she tells me she has forgotten the plot and can only recall the details.

Read the original article/essay/piece here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shifting Movements reviewed in SF Gate!

FIRST POST!

Join me at the opening of Shifting Movements on 5/4, 6pm to 9pm?